A brief life of Andreas Georgiadis
Andreas Georgiadis was born in Chania in November 1892, three years after the Cretan uprising of 1889. At the time of his birth his father had just returned to
He came to
In 1914 he resumed his studies at the
In 1924, newly graduated from the
In May 1929 he returned to
In 1930 his work Manna was accepted by the panel of judges for the exhibition at' the Grand Palais, the annual Salon of new work, at which - by way of exception - foreign artists were allowed to exhibit. He completed his seven years of travel and study at Bologna in' Italy, where he spent a year (1930-31) at the Regia Scuola per Industrie Artistiche, specialising in fresco technique under the eminent Italian fresco painter Mario Roversi, and receiving a diploma in fresco painting at the end of the course.
In 1931 he was awarded an honorary medal and diploma to mark the centenary of the independence of the Greek nation. In 1933 he was declared an honorary member of the Association of Veterans and granted an honorary diploma in recognition of his services to the nation and the arts,
In 1934 he showed three works at the Venice International Exhibition, including the Portrait of a Friend (D, Rodokanakis). In his review for the Corriere della Sera (Milan, 17 July 1934) the eminent art critic Ugo Ojetti singled out two names for special praise from the Greek pavilion: Andreas Georgiadis and Dimitris Dimas. In 1935 he and Fotis Kontoglou were appointed to the committee overseeing the restoration of the wall paintings in the Trophy Room of the
In 1947 he was appointed to the chair of painting at the
In 1950 he was invited to show work at the 25th International Exhibition in Venice, finally sending a total of ten paintings, The eminent art critic Francesco Sapori wrote in Paine Nuove (Year IV, Oct.- Nov.- Dec. 1950) that 'Andreas Georgiadis has produced the most important painting at the Greek pavilion, the Fall, in which the artist has mastered all that El Greco has to teach on the subject of chiaroscuro'.
In 1957 he participated in the 2nd Mediterranean Exhibition in
In 1959 he showed no fewer than eighty paintings at a retrospective at the Parnassos Gallery. In 1962 the loannina Gallery mounted an exhibition of thirty-two of his works, and the city awarded him a gold medal for his role in the campaigns of 1912-13 and his contribution to the arts.
In 1969 the Chrysostomos Literary Society organised a special tribute to Georgiadis, an exhibition of fifty-two of his works. He was later awarded a gold medal by the city of
In 1972 the Piraeus City Council mounted an exhibition with fifty-five of his works.
In 1978 the Athens Rotary Club awarded him a diploma and silver medal for his valuable contribution to Greek art. He took part in all the Panhellenic Exhibitions of the following years: 1938, 1939, 1940, 1948, 1952, 1957, I960, 1963, 1967, 1969, 1971, 1973 and 1975. He showed work at group exhibitions abroad, including the 16 Greek Artists in
In December 1986 the Director of the National Gallery, Dimitris Papastamos, presented the first complete retrospective of the artist's work - a tribute to his career as a painter. His works can be seen today in the National Gallery, the Municipal Gallery and Athens Academy, the Historical and Ethnological Museum, the War Museum, the Ministry of Education, the Bank of Greece and Agrotiki Bank, the Orthodox Academy of Chania, Crete, the Chrysostomos Literary Society, Chania, the Averof Gallery, the Rhodes Municipal Gallery and other public institutions as well as private collections in Greece and abroad. Georgiadis died in